The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) will plan, coordinate, oversee and provide patient care for all ages in Pre- and Post-operative areas within nursing standards of practice and the policies of the Surgery Center. Make decisions regarding direct patient care needs and communicate appropriate information to other team members. Help maintain equipment, supplies, and the cleanliness and efficiency of the Surgery Center. Collects data on patient medical history electronically and via medical assessment to determine appropriateness of care at the facility and ensure all medical providers are aware of any disease processes affecting the patient.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, implement, and evaluate pre and post-operative nursing care for patients based on individual, specific patient needs and according to physician’s orders.
- Organize and prepare medical records of patients. Document care appropriately and fully. Follow up on missing data and other patient care needs.
- Maintain and demonstrate current skills and knowledge of intravenous therapy, medication administration and effects, patient assessment, airway maintenance, dysrhythmia detection, patient teaching, emotional/social support of patients and families and other needed clinical competencies.
- See or call 100% of scheduled surgical patients prior to the day of surgery to identify pre-existing conditions and to tell patients what to expect.
- Work collaboratively with dental offices and anesthesia to collect all necessary information for the best patient care possible
- Assist in adding or moving patients as necessary to ensure a full schedule
- Contact agencies as necessary to ensure all paperwork, consents and history and physicals are on patients charts prior to 24 hours pre-procedure
- Ensure all staff are aware of any special conditions that surround the patient: autistic , MH, Latex Allergy, etc.
- Assist in completing medical assessments for patients scheduled for surgery in the next week and also assist in completing required documents and assessments of medical pendings for potential patients
- Other duties as assigned